best counter

Your Ad Here
Just The Sports: A Little Experiment

Just The Sports

Thursday, April 13, 2006

A Little Experiment

You may have already seen Dwyane Wade's Converse video, but if you haven't you can check it out below (SOUND).



The commercial is basically a montage of highlights showing Wade falling to the ground only to get back up again. There do not seem to be any real problems with the commercial, besides the fact the budget for it could not have been more than fifty dollars. That is, until the slogan comes across the screen at the very end...

Fall Seven Times. Stand Up Eight.

While this may have been a catchy slogan to the Converse marketing department, it is also an impossibility.

The first time I saw this commercial, I questioned the arithmetic of it. In fact, I knew it was wrong, but I wanted to give Converse the benefit of the doubt. I wanted to believe a person could fall down seven times and then stand up eight. I really did, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

So today, to erase all doubt, I tried to do what the commercial said, in essence falling down seven times and getting back up eight times. Needless to say, I failed since after the seventh time standing up after my seventh fall, I couldn't very well stand up while I was already standing.

My advice to Converse is either to pull the commercial because it makes your company look like it is run by chimpanzees or learn how to do simple arithmetic.

2 Comments:

  • hey guy, i'm sure you realize that it is a metaphor based on an old chinese proverb. The last "standing up" action could be considered many things such as standing up to the pressure or standing up to the challege again.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:47 AM  

  • I like your point, however...

    Start by sitting or laying down.
    Stand up.
    Then fall.
    Then stand up.
    Fall again.
    Repeat until you've fallen a total of seven times.
    Stand up.

    Congratulations. You've done it.

    By Blogger Poly Wanna Answer?, at 2:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home